Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hope

In May of 2010 a dear friend was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 28. She was a beautiful presence as long as I'd known her. She loved on my kids and me so freely as well as everyone around her. Her passion for art and beauty inspired me. When faced with this terrible monster we call cancer and the implications it could have on her life, the troops were rallied. Friends and family joined forces to bathe her in prayer, love, and hope. She fought hard and was victorious! Not all stories end up this well, but we thank God for this particular miracle. I'm so proud of her and how much stronger she has become, and how she continues to unabashedly love and inspire people.

Over several years time, this friend has wanted to commission me to do a piece of art for her home. It took a while (as is typical)  for me to come up with an idea for her and her husband's home. As we looked at a wall together that she was reserving for my future art, we talked about using an old door hung horizontally for me to work on. The result came about as I thought about these sweet friends and the long road they have traveled at such an early age.


The door speaks for itself, so I didn't want to cover it up too much. Its original enamel paint would require sanding or primer in order for paint to adhere. After some very light sanding and cleaning, I went with oil paint so I wouldn't have to stir up too much dust and so I could maintain the integrity of the door. As I did the green drips, it made me think of things springing up from the ground. The circles are just a small obsession I have right now, morphing together into other forms. As the time came to make the tree trunk, I decided to try my hand with carving tools, taking off the layers of old paint precisely to create branches and a trunk. I wouldn't recommend carving over an oil painted surface (I had a lot of patch up to do). But, as I do often, I shot from the hip and learned as I went. As I worked on this door, there was no theme I was seeking to convey. I just went with what I loved and what worked well. When all was said and done, I looked at this piece and felt hope, a theme I have been thinking on lots lately.


So, to my sweet friends, who have lived through many highs and lows, I pray for a long life filled with hope.


9 comments:

Sarah Hart said...

they are so lucky to have this in their home! i love it & know they do, too! great job sb!

Cameron Dezen Hammon said...

I LOVE this piece. You are so gifted. Thanks for this window into your process. It's inspiring.

photo-melanie said...

this is so beautiful!! and what a great idea using an old door for!! its a true "creating alongside my Creator"'s piece of artwork!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE how you described our sweet friend. Of course I love the art.

Hayley said...

I cried tears of joy when I read this. I love you so much! Friends like you are the reason I am alive and healthy with a new pep in my step.
I am SO IN LOVE with this piece. I could not have pictured anything more perfect for our style and our home. I love having a piece of your creativity in my home. You inspire me. And for those of you who know where I live, you need to come see it in person. It is remarkable.
Hugs!!!

Hayley said...

I cried tears of joy when I read this. I love you so much! Friends like you are the reason I am alive and healthy with a new pep in my step.
I am SO IN LOVE with this piece. I could not have pictured anything more perfect for our style and our home. I love having a piece of your creativity in my home. You inspire me. And for those of you who know where I live, you need to come see it in person. It is remarkable.
Hugs!!!

Melissa Adams said...

I cried too - darn you - I hate to cry. It is bautiful and the spirit in you is even more beautiful. May God bless you and your family. Hayley is one blessed girl to have such great friends that stand beside her in the hard times.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)