Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Giving old stuff new life. And giving it away.











"Life Giving"
2011
13"x14"
Acrylic and paper on wood










Often when I start something new, I don't set out for the piece to make a statement or send a message. That usually comes during the process, or often a long time after the piece is done. Sometimes I just like it and it doesn't mean anything tangible. But, usually, the art takes on a meaning to me or someone else that only God can inspire. This particular one was inspired by my brother and sister-in-law's discarded kitchen wallpaper from the 70s. I had my eye on it from the day they moved into their house. When they renovated their kitchen, I got the leftovers! I cut out the flowers and got crazy! These flowers seemed to be having a very important conversation with each other. About what? You tell me. The rest of the piece just kind of happened. Then, months later, I was contacted by a friend from Creative Dreams Outreach Center in Stafford. Creative Dreams is a non-profit after school arts and tutoring program for middle and high school students. They make the arts accessible to teens who may never have the opportunity. They needed artwork donated for auction at their upcoming fundraising event. The theme of this year's event was Take One: It only takes one person, one minute to impact the life of a child. Hmmmmmm. Immediately, this piece came to mind as the one I would donate. Now I know why I made it. Our impact on others can be limitless, if only we will open up our lives to freely pour out Christ's love, life and gifts on others.

To find out more about Creative Dreams, you can see what they're doing at http://www.creativedoc.org

2 comments:

Sarah Hart said...

that's so awesome, sb! you're an inspiration to me.

Brandon Baca said...

BOOM! You are like whoa!