Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Three's Company

One of the most popular questions I've gotten as a mom and artist is "Do you find any time to paint?" This was a depressing thought when I first embarked on motherhood--that I would somehow lose my ability or time or passion to paint because my much more important children have taken priority. Well, had no problem painting through my oldest's first year of life, since he was an amazing napper and also very content to sit in a swing and watch. It became more of a challenge as he got older and napped less. Since baby #2 came along, I have often wondered if I needed to just store all my art supplies and give it up for a few years. I have recently come to terms with not having nearly the time or energy to pour into my artwork like I did before kids. I still long for the day that I can go to my easel and paint whenever the inspiration hits me.
A sweet friend and fellow artist, Ramona, gave me some great advice shortly before she passed away. She encouraged me to get Asher his very own easel and art supplies to put next to me while I'm painting. That way, he won't feel like art is off limits for him. I always remembered Ramona's words, and this Christmas I asked grandparents for art supplies for Asher. He now has his very own awesome two-sided easel, paints and art kit in the art room. For the first time last week, we created together--Asher with watercolors, Eden with chalk, and it was so wonderful to share my love for art with my son and daughter. So, the answer to the question is, yes, I do find time to paint! Sometimes it just looks different than I thought it would.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww! They are so cute! What a great family activity! I'm sure as they grow older their artistic ability will grow as well! :)

Miss you guys!!

P.S. Totally sporting my grey sweater with my leopard print belt this winter season! :)

Steph said...

What a great thing! I always separate my time as "my time" and "Braelyn time". What a special way to learn and grow and create together!

Sarah Beth said...

Thanks for the encouragement! So good to hear from you Steph!! Would love to hear how things are going with you guys!

Ann Younger said...

I learned some of my most powerful art lessons during my childrens' art time. As much as you delight in Asher and Eden's art, God delights in you!

Amber Dagley said...

The kids are adorable! I love seeing all the pictures and hearing about what you guys are up to. We miss seeing all of you.

Terri said...

You children are adorable.

I totally hear you. I love to sew and just before my second son was born I was starting up my own little bussiness making diaper bags "lilboobags".

Now that my second is here I think that will be pushed aside for quite some time. But they kiddos are far more important.

You are so talented!!

-Terri

Melanie said...

Looks like the kids are enjoying it and I'm sure there having a blast painting right next to you!

The girls have actually gotten into painting too but I haven't yet gotten them an easel board...just not sure where we'd put it!

Sarah Beth said...

You could always tape some butcher paper on the fence outside and let the girls go crazy with the paint. That way you don't have to worry about the mess... ;)

Melanie said...

What a great idea...I never thought of that...I love that it'd be mess free too! Thanks for the tip!