Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Crickett's Painting


Crickett's Song
Oil and Paper on Canvas
24"x36"

Last year, an old friend from college, affectionately called Crickett, contacted me and asked me to do a painting. She is a very gifted violinist and music teacher, and she had a wall in her studio that needed some color. She remembered some pieces I had done back in college and wanted me to do something special for her, giving me total artistic freedom. This is what I came up with. It's not the best picture--the color is a little more vibrant in person, but you get the idea. This one was very experimental for me, using many, many layers of oil color, drybrushing, gluing on pages from a Bible, using leaves to make imprints, dripping the sludge from the bottom of the turpentine jar, and more glue to add sheen and dimension. I'm really getting excited about mixed media lately. God is so amazing to provide me with ideas and inspiration in the midst of all the madness of life.

6 comments:

The Velvet Trunk said...

Girlie, I love it! It's stunning. One day when I make it big time I'm so buying some of your pieces. They really touch me and I just love them!

Hope you are doing well- haven't talked to you in forever! My parents found a church that they love so whenever I'm back in TX I'm going to church with them instead of visiting yours which I still love.

Sending you a big hug from TN!
-Mel (McGaughey :))

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous!!!

Sarah Beth said...

Thanks for the love guys!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tony and Lindsay said...

Sarah Beth,
I love your work. You inspire me. I miss creating. You have an awesome spirit and God has really blessed you with a gift and I love how he directs you in your work! Keep it up!
Tony

Sarah Beth said...

Thanks Tony! I hope you one day find the time and inspiration to create more! SB